Last Modified May 1, 2017
Except as set forth in any other inPlace agreement or terms and conditions, this Policy does not apply to information collected by inPlace offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by inPlace or any third party, or through any third party, including through any applications or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on the Platform.
A. Information Collected
inPlace collects information on its users in various ways, such as by voluntary submissions, participation in services provided via the Platform, from third parties, and through cookie and other tracking technology. inPlace collects the following information:
- Personal “Personal Information” refers to information that tells inPlace specifically who you are, such as your name, phone number, email address, postal address, and possibly information relating to the services requested and certain support or customer service issues or surveys. If you are a service provider, this information may include your social security number for background check purposes, your skills, experience, eligibility to work and availability, and your resume, LinkedIn profile or other information. Much of this Personal Information is collected when you create an account using the Platform.
- Financial Information. inPlace may also collect and store credit card, bank account or other payment information in order to periodically charge you for the use of any paid components of the Although users can submit credit card or other payment card information to pay for a service through the Platform, inPlace does not receive this information itself. Payment card information is transmitted directly to a third-party payment card processor, Stripe, through an Internet connection secured by industry-standard Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption technology. Stripe then communicates to inPlace whether your payment has cleared, but does not provide payment card information to inPlace.
- Submission of User Content. inPlace collects User Content such as messages, posts, comments, photographs, and responses that you voluntarily provide, including ratings and reviews of the providers you engage through the Platform. User Content collected by inPlace also includes product and pricing information and other data entered into the Platform.
- Aggregate Information. inPlace may collect general, non-personal, statistical information about the use of the Platform, such as how many visitors visit a specific page on the Website, how long they stay on that page, and which hyperlinks, if any, they click on. This information represents a generic overview of our users, including their collective viewing habits, and allows us and other third parties to modify information, promotions, offers and/or discounts on products and services based on user traffic and behavior. inPlace collects this information through the use of technologies such as ‘cookies’ and web beacons, which are discussed in greater detail below. inPlace collects this information in order to help enhance the
- Usage Details. When you access and use the Applications, inPlace may automatically collect certain details of your access to and use of the Platform, including traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on or through the Platform.
- Device Information. inPlace may collect information about your mobile device and internet connection, including the device’s unique device identifier, IP address, operating system, browser type, mobile network information and the device’s telephone number.
- Stored Information and Files. The Platform also may access other files stored on your device, or metadata and other information associated with other files stored on your device. This may include, for example, photographs, audio and video clips, personal contacts and address book information.
- Location Information. The Platform may collect real-time information about the location of your device that you use to access the Platform.
B. Third Party Information
inPlace may supplement information you provide to inPlace with information from other sources, such as information to validate or update your address, payment card or other demographic and lifestyle information. inPlace use this information to help it maintain the accuracy of the information it collects, to enable inPlace to provide the Platform, to target its communications so that inPlace can inform you of products, services and offers that may be of interest, and for internal business analysis or other business purposes consistent with the Platform.
D. Other Tracking Technologies
Tracking technologies may record information such as Internet domain and host names; Internet protocol (IP) addresses; browser software and operating system types; clickstream patterns; and dates and times that the Platform is accessed. An IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are surfing the web. Web servers, the computers that ‘serve up’ webpages, automatically identify your computer by its IP address. The Platform may also use technology called “tracer tags”. These may also be referred to as “Pixels”, “Clear GIFs” or “Web Beacons”. This technology allows inPlace to understand which pages you visit on the Platform and other ways you interact with the Platform. These tracer tags are used to help inPlace to optimize and tailor the Platform for you and other users of the Platform. inPlace may link the information it records using tracking technologies to Personal Information inPlace collects.
E. Use of Information
The information inPlace collects is used in a variety of ways, including:
- For internal review
- To provide and improve the Platform, and to deliver a better and more personalized experience by enabling inPlace to
- Estimate the audience size and usage patterns
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize the Platform according to your individual interests
- Speed up your searches
- Recognize you when you use the Platform
- To optimize third-party offers of products and/or services
- To verify the legitimacy of User Content
- To notify you about updates to the Platform
- To let you know about products, services, and promotions that you may be interested in
- For marketing purposes and the marketing of discounts offered through the Platform by service contractors (“Providers”)
- Scheduling and cancellation of services
- Rating and reviewing of Providers
- Providing public profiles of Providers
- Communications with you regarding the Platform and your use of the Platform
- Internal business analysis or other business purposes consistent with our mission
F. Disclosures and Transfers of Information
inPlace does not disclose Personal Information to third parties, except when one or more of the following conditions is true:
- inPlace has your permission to make the disclosure
- The disclosure is consistent with the purpose for which the Personal Information was obtained
- The disclosure is to financial service providers in order to fulfill and carry out the purchase and provision of the Platform requested by you
- The Personal Information to be disclosed is publicly available
- The disclosure is reasonably related to the sale or other disposition of all or part of inPlace’s business or assets
- The disclosure is for inPlace’s own marketing purposes, or, with your authorization, for the marketing purposes of third parties
- The party to whom the disclosure is made controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with inPlace
- The disclosure is in inPlace’s sole discretion necessary for the establishment or maintenance of legal claims or legal compliance, to satisfy any law, regulation, subpoena or government request, or in connection with litigation
- The disclosure is to outside businesses to perform certain services for inPlace, such as maintaining the Platform, mailing lists, processing orders and delivering products and services, sending postal mail, providing marketing assistance, and data analysis (“Administrative Platform Providers”)
- The Platform may display profiles of the Providers who participate on the Platform. These profiles may include the Provider’s name, and ratings and reviews about the Provider provided by their customers. The Provider’s profile may be visible to all users of the Platform.
- If you provide a rating or review about a Provider, we may post your first name, the initial of your last name, along with your rating or review on the Provider’s profile. In addition, Providers may use your ratings and reviews, as well as this personal information about you, in their own marketing materials.
Prior to sharing of your Personal Information with others, agreements are made between inPlace and such outside parties to whom inPlace is transferring data. If inPlace becomes aware that any such outside party is improperly using or disclosing Personal Information, it will notify that outside party and request that it take reasonable steps to cease such use or disclosure.
inPlace may also disclose aggregate visitor data in order to describe the use of the Platform to inPlace’s existing or potential business partners or other third parties, or in response to a government request. inPlace may also share aggregated demographic and preference data with third parties to enable the provision of targeted information, promotions, offers and/or discounts on products and services.
G. Choice: Opt-in/Opt-out
To help you review, edit, and control how we use much of the information inPlace collects about you, you can visit your account webpage on the Platform, where you can update certain information and unsubscribe from receiving specific types of email messages and telephone calls. You cannot, however, unsubscribe from receiving certain emails, such as account status and billing related emails.
For location information, you can choose whether or not to allow the Platform to collect and use real-time information about your device’s location through the device’s privacy settings. If you block the use of location information, some parts of the Platform may then be inaccessible or not function properly.
H. Data Security, Integrity, and Access
The Personal Information you provide and inPlace collects is stored within databases that inPlace controls directly or through its Administrative Platform Providers. As inPlace deems appropriate, inPlace use’s security measures consistent with industry standards, such as firewalls, to protect your Personal Information. inPlace also uses industry standard encryption technology to protect credit card and password information. However, since no security system is impenetrable, inPlace cannot guarantee the security of the databases, nor can it guarantee that information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the Internet.
Your information may be transferred to, and maintained on, computers located outside of your state, province, or country where the privacy laws may not be as protective as those where you live. If you are located outside the United States and choose to provide information to inPlace, please be aware that inPlace transfers Personal Information to the United States and processes and store it there. By submitting your Personal Information, you consent to having your personal data transferred to, processed, and stored in the United States.
Any user ID and password associated with your account may only be used by you. You may not share your user ID and password with anyone else, and you are solely responsible for maintaining and protecting the confidentiality of your user ID and password. You are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your user ID and password. You can access and update your login information on your account webpage.
I. Third Party Websites and Links
Please note that you may have cookies placed on your computer by third party websites that refer you to the Platform. Although we do not share your Personal Information with these third-party websites unless you have authorized us to do so, they may be able to link certain non-personally identifiable information inPlace transfers to them with Personal Information they previously collected from you.
J. Children’s Privacy
inPlace does not intend the Platform to be used by individuals under the age of 18 without the supervision of a parent or guardian 18 years of age or older. inPlace relies upon parents or guardians 18 years of age or older to determine if the Platform is appropriate for the viewing, access, or participation by such individuals under the age of 18. If an individual under the age of 18 uses the Platform, such individual may only use the Platform under the supervision of a parent or guardian 18 years of age or older.
inPlace does not seek or knowingly collect any Personal Information about children under 13 years of age. If inPlace becomes aware that it unknowingly collected Personal Information from a child under the age of 13, inPlace will make commercially reasonable efforts to delete such information from our database.
K. Governing Law; Visitors Residing Outside the United States
M. Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of the Platform that are California residents to request certain information regarding inPlace’s disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an e-mail to or write us at the addresses identified below.
N. How To Contact Us